How to Get to Your Healthiest BMI with Isagenix
Maintaining a healthy body mass index, or BMI, is one of the most important ways to help you live longer, according to a new study published in the December issue of New England Journal of Medicine (1).
BMI is not a perfect measure, but it is one of the simplest for estimating body fat. It is calculated by weight in pounds divided by height in inches squared and multiplying the number by 703, or by weight in kilograms divided by height in inches squared. What’s your BMI? Find out using this free calculator provided by the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, of the National Institutes of Health.
The study’s findings support an optimal BMI in the “normal weight” range of 20 to 24.9, which is generally associated with the lowest risk of death from all causes including chronic diseases such as cardiovascular disease and cancer. The association was strongest among participants who were younger than 50 years old.
A BMI of 25 or more was associated with the highest mortality risks. The higher the BMI, the higher the likelihood of dying from cardiovascular disease.
“The results of our analysis are most relevant to whites living in affluent countries,” write the authors who pooled and analyzed data from 19 prospective studies encompassing 1.4 million white adults ages 19 to 80.
In the United States, among non-Hispanic whites, there was an estimated 11 percent of men and 17 percent of women with a BMI of 35 or higher in 2008.
The authors restricted the study to non-Hispanic whites based on self-reported ethnic group and controlled for pre-existing conditions, alcohol consumption, barbital status, education, and physical activity. They also excluded those with a BMI of less than 15 or higher than 50.
Smokers made up 25 percent of the study participants in the lowest BMI category of 15 to 18.4 and 8 percent of those in the highest BMI category.
Getting to “normal weight” range (ideally between 20 to 24.9)
Earlier this year, Isagenix reported results from two pilot studies (a 9-day and a 28-day study) performed on the company’s Isagenix Cleansing and Fat Burning System. Both studies showed a statistically significant reduction in BMI from baseline measurements.
In the 28-day study, a total of 30 healthy individuals (ages 20 to 60) followed a calorie-restricted program consisting of Shake Days, replacing two meals with the IsaLean Shake (240 kilocalories per serving) and consuming a 400- to 600-kilocalorie meal per day, and Cleanse Days, water fasting supplemented with Cleanse for Life one day per week.
After the 28 days, the subjects had lost a statistically significant average of 6.4 pounds (3.6 percent of initial bodyweight). The average waist and hip circumference decreased by 1.9 and 1.1 inches, respectively, and were statistically different from baseline.
The second study randomized 42 healthy individuals (ages 20-60) to one of two groups. Group 1 received Cleanse for Life from a dry-powder drink mix and Group 2 received the product from a ready-to-drink liquid.
Both groups followed Shake Days and Cleanse Days similar to the 28-day study, except that they performed two consecutive Cleanse Days per week (2). Measurements were taken on the day before they started the study and then again at the end of the study.
The average weight loss of the subjects was 6.6 pounds (3.8 percent of initial bodyweight), which was also statistically significant. Waist and hip circumference decreased an average of 0.6-0.7 inches, which was statistically significant.
The two studies were funded by Isagenix and conducted at New York Chiropractic College where Mary Balliet, Ph.D., dean of the basic sciences department, was the principal investigator. The university conducted the studies according to Good Clinical Practice with Institutional Review Board approval, and had the clinical expertise to run studies for weight loss and body composition.
Why does the Cleansing and Fat Burning System work?
A frequent question we receive is “Why does the Cleansing and Fat Burning System works so well for helping people achieve weight loss?”
Principally, there are three reasons:
- The Cleansing and Fat Burning System is a complete nutritionally sound program that maximizes nutrition while minimizing calories. Reducing calories while maintaining optimal levels of nutrients leads to healthy weight loss.
- The Shake Days are based on maximizing weight loss by using the quality proteins in amounts that keep people fuller longer and with minimal calories that promote fat to be mobilized for fuel. The quantity of whey protein in the IsaLean Shake helps satisfy appetite. The whey protein, in addition, contains high levels of branched-chain amino acids that simultaneously sustain muscle while on a reduced-calorie diet. Typical calorie-restricted diets are inadequate in lean, quality proteins and nutrients causing muscle wasting.
- The Cleanse Days are unique. Not only are you consuming few calories and sustaining fat burning, but you are also giving your body and liver a rest from digestion, which allows your liver to detoxify and use stores of fat for energy. The limited calories on Cleanse Days also help to condition the stomach and body for eating less with less of an appetite. The natural cleansing herbs in the product Cleanse for Life also support the liver and the body during weight-loss with antioxidants and by encouraging natural detoxification.
The Cleansing and Fat Burning System is a common-sense, proven strategy for weight management and nutrition. It is also a quality system because of its effectiveness in helping thousands of people reach or maintain an optimal BMI. Ultimately, as people reach and keep their desired weight, they are leaps and bounds ahead of folks who choose not to eat healthy! A healthier BMI is an increased opportunity for a healthier future.
1. Berrington de Gonzalez A, Hartge P, Cerhan JR et al. Body-Mass Index and Mortality among 1.46 Million White Adults. New England Journal of Medicine 2010;363:2211-9.
2. Balliet M, Burke JR, Rasmussen O, Rockway S. Nine-day weight loss program with high protein shakes supplemented with herbal beverage in dry mix powder or liquid form on fasting days leads to healthy weight loss. J FASEB April 2010 (Meeting abstract Supplement) Ib335.