To view our “What’s Aging Your Skin?” visual, click the picture to the left or here.
As the largest organ in the body, covering some 16 to 21 square feet, skin takes the biggest beating on a daily basis. Sun, toxic chemical, and pollutant exposure bombard skin every day and over time can cause wrinkles, age spots, dullness, and sagginess if not given proper care.
To protect your skin, you have to know your skin, and this includes knowing a little about what’s really going on at the cellular level.
Skin Aging 101
Skin is composed of two main layers: the outermost layer being the epidermis and the layer below it being the dermis. The dermis acts very much like a steam engine in a ship, constantly pumping out energy and making new cells that are transported upwards to the epidermis where they replace old cells. Cells within the dermis (called fibroblasts) produce collagen and elastin, which are structural proteins crucial for maintaining the smoothness, firmness, and elasticity of skin.
For the steam engine to work properly, there has to be constant communication between cells on the deck above to the engine hands below. Scientists have learned that this cell-to-cell communication between the different layers in our skin is what ultimately determines collagen and elastin production and overall appearance.
Unfortunately, with age and the constant bombardment of oxidative stress from the inside and out, comes weakened cell-to-cell communication. Over time, the proteins that once boosted collagen production lose function; the mitochondria (or “power centers” of the cells) become dysfunctional causing more cellular chaos; and the DNA in cells that holds youthful information becomes harmed.
Five Ways to Maintain Youthful Skin
1. Practice safe sun exposure: The number one thing you can do to preserve your youthful look is to keep it protected from the sun’s harmful rays. High exposure to the sun’s UV radiation, without protection, can result in increased oxidative stress and eventually poor texture, sun spots, and leathery skin. It’s estimated that up to 90 percent of skin aging is caused from UV radiation from sun exposure (1). Make sure your face is also always protected by a hat, umbrella, and creams that provide broad-spectrum protection against both UVA “aging” and UVB “burning” rays. Most sunscreens don’t do both. The ones that do employ natural minerals like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, which are the safest and most effective when it comes to sun protection.
2. Maintain a healthy weight: Yo-yo dieting is not only bad for long-term metabolic health (2), but it can also weaken your skin. When you lose and regain weight, you also lose and regain volume in the skin on your face. This back-and-forth can create stretching of the ligaments supporting the face, which can cause nose-to-mouth lines to deepen and jowls to appear. There’s no better system for weight loss, and long-term maintenance of weight loss, than one of the many lifestyle solutions Isagenix offers. With a combination of Shake Days and Cleanse Days, you’ll easily avoid jumping back and forth on the scale, not to mention saving your skin.
3. Feed your skin necessary nutrients with Ageless Essentials Daily Pack with Product B. A healthy diet is important for healthy skin, and you can’t beat the complete nutrition provided by Ageless Essentials Daily Pack with Product B. It provides vitamins E and C, b-carotene, and green tea that have shown to provide full body protection from oxidative stress, espeically in the skin (3;4).It also delivers long-chain omega-3 fatty acids that are known to strengthen collagen and elastin production by helping to fight photoaging, which is the breakdown of collagen and elastin networks (5). It contains a therapeutic dose of the most plentiful antioxidant in skin, vitamin C, which plays a major role in the synthesis of collagen and protects the skin from oxidative stress (6). In addition, resveratrol, a powerful antioxidant and polyphenol found in red grape skins, has shown to be a skin-protector when taken orally by reducing skin oxidative stress and improving all factors of skin roughness (7).Lastly, curcumin, the compound found in turmeric, is building research supporting its use in quenching free radicals and strengthening signaling and detoxification pathways in the skin that are imperative for reducing oxidative stress and strengthening new cell growth (8).
4. Avoid chemicals that are ultimately harmful for your skin—and your body. Many skincare products may improve the look of your skin temporarily, but often use harmful chemicals that ultimately cause your skin to age more quickly. Not only can they cause irritation on the surface of the skin, but some chemicals also have been shown to penetrate the skin and disrupt hormone systems.
5. Your skincare solution: Rejuvity. What can be done to keep skin cells healthy, free from harmful ingredients, and in constant communication? Isagenix has formulated a unique line of skincare products that nourish and protect skin cells so they can function optimally. Here’s why your skin needs Rejuvity:
Taking the best of what nature has to offer and harnessing its power through advanced technology: The Isagenix Rejuvity line is composed of seven key products formulated using the most advanced technology and ingredients in skincare research. These products contain complexes—including the Renewal C2C ComplexTM—which support optimal skin cell communication and health. Improved communication is the result of the synergistic workings of many of the ingredients, most notably being the Crocus plant. This special plant is sourced from the pristine soil of Switzerland and has been shown to have the best properties for maximizing cell-to-cell communication. On top of that, you can rest assured that the Rejuvity line is free of harmful chemicals including parabens, artificial fragrances or dyes, phthalates, OMC, octorylene, oxybenzone, and PABA. See more at IsaFYI.
Targeted approach: Ever see an advertisement for a “cure-all” cream that guarantees freedom from dry skin, wrinkles, dark spots, and blemishes? The problem with a product like that is the ingredients used to target each skin condition can actually counteract each other when used all at once in the same cream. That’s why Isagenix created a system of seven individual products, each with their own strengths, to work together and effectively target multiple aspects of skin health.
Backed by science: Most importantly, does it work? After extensive research and multiple formulations, Rejuvity products were put to the test. The results were impressive, to say the least. Over 95 percent of subjects using the Essential Youth Serum and the Renewal Night Cream showed clinically measured improvements in skin texture and moisture. Additionally, over 84% percent showed improvements in the appearance of crow’s feet, fine lines, and wrinkles. And that was only in four weeks!
Why choose Rejuvity? It works. Along with the aforementioned healthy behaviors for maintaining your skin’s natural youthfulness, the products in Rejuvity protect, nourish, and hydrate your skin with the most advanced, most pure, and clinically tested skincare technology on the market. Give your skin the solution it needs to feel and look its best—give it Rejuvity.
Anderson EK, Gutierrez DA, Kennedy A, Hasty AH. Weight Cycling Increases T Cell Accumulation in Adipose Tissue and Impairs Systemic Glucose Tolerance. Diabetes 2013.
Evans JA, Johnson EJ. The role of phytonutrients in skin health. Nutrients 2010;2:903-28
Rhodes LE, Darby G, Massey KA et al. Oral green tea catechin metabolites are incorporated into human skin and protect against UV radiation-induced cutaneous inflammation in association with reduced production of pro-inflammatory eicosanoid 12-hydroxyeicosatetraenoic acid. Br J Nutr 2013;1-10.
Pilkington SM et al. Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids: photoprotective macronutrients. Experi Derma 2011; 20:537-543.
Telang PS. Vitamin C in dermatology. Indian Dermatol Online J 2013;4:143-6.
Buonocore D, Lazzeretti A, Tocabens P et al. Resveratrol-procyanidin blend: nutraceutical and antiaging efficacy evaluated in a placebocontrolled, double-blind study. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol 2012;5:159-65.
Williams S, Tamburic S, Lally C. Eating chocolate can significantly protect the skin from UV light. J Cosmet Dermatol 2009;8:169-73.
Heinrich U et al. Green tea Polyphenols Provide Photoprotection, Increase Microcirculation, and Modulate Skin Properties of Women. J Nutr 2011; 141: 1202-8.
Innovative packaging, promising label claims, and unique ingredients are all enticing factors when seeking out skincare products, but all of that falls by the wayside if they don’t work.
After extensive research and multiple formulations, Isagenix Rejuvity products were put to the test to show not only their aesthetic benefits, but also their effectiveness in supporting skin health.
For two years, Isagenix scientists worked with more than 3,000 data points to get input on how subjects use skincare and what they prefer. This included sensory testing against multiple competitive products to help the Isagenix team create a superior system. Based on each of the sensory attributes such as spreadabilty, absorption, hydration, and feel of skin, Isagenix products tested above compared to the other skincare products.
Taking things a step further, a four-week clinical study was conducted to gain objective results by using highly sophisticated, gold-standard instrumentation to measure elasticity, firmness, and skin moisture.
The results were impressive, to say the least. Over 95 percent of subjects using the Essential Youth Serum and the Renewal Night Cream showed clinically measured improvements in skin texture and moisture. Additionally, over 81 percent of those using Essential Youth Serum and over 84 perfect using the Renewal Night Cream showed improvements in the appearance of crow’s feet, fine lines, and wrinkles. And that was only in four weeks!