Dr. Mercola Health News
By Dr. Mercola:
You are wise to question who you can trust when it comes to maintaining, enhancing, or rebuilding your health.
With all websites, newspapers, magazines, and other publications offering health advice, with every new multi-million dollar TV ad for another proclaimed miracle drug, with any recommendation offered by traditional and natural physicians, it is essential to answer this question above all others: what is their real motivation?
Only if the answer provides you with a sense of security, move on to the next important question: what are their qualifications? The primary trick of the existing medical establishment is to get you to forget that first question – their real motivation – by dazzling you with what appears to be magnificently trustworthy qualifications.
But clinical trials conducted by heavily biased “researchers,” advertisements, and news stories carefully scripted to scare you into belief, highly polished corporate offices and corporate websites, and an extreme focus on whatever has the most profit potential – not lifesaving or life-enhancing potential – are not qualifications. They are scams.
Don’t fall for them.
My motivation, whether you are a member of the Mercola.com community or have just heard about me for the first time, is to make you as healthy as you can possibly be. This involves:
- Providing the most up-to-date natural health information and resources that will most benefit you and,
- Exposing corporate, government, and mass media hype that diverts you away from what is truly best for your health and often to a path that leads straight into an early grave.
Please visit Mercola.org for more details about Dr. Mercola.
And so, Dr. Mercola’s qualifications, as written by Dr. Mercola himself: “first and foremost, I am an osteopathic physician, also known as a DO. DOs are licensed physicians who, similar to MDs, can prescribe medication and perform surgery in all 50 states. DOs and MDs have similar training requiring four years of study in the basic and clinical sciences, and the successful completion of licensing exams. But DOs bring something extra to the practice of medicine. Osteopathic physicians practice a “whole person” approach, treating the entire person rather than just symptoms. Focusing on preventive health care, DOs help patients develop attitudes and lifestyles that don’t just fight illness, but help prevent it, too.
I am also board-certified in family medicine and served as the chairman of the family medicine department at St. Alexius Medical Center for five years. I am trained in both traditional and natural medicine.
In addition, I was granted fellowship status by the American College of Nutrition (ACN) in October 2012. In order to obtain fellowship status with the ACN one must meet a minimum of four requirements. Those requirements include: (1) co-author five or more publications relevant to nutrition in referred medical or scientific journals, (2) demonstrate significant experience in patient care, (3) hold a doctoral degree from an institution that is accredited by the Regional Accrediting Organizations, and (4) maintain status with the ACN.
For my insight on a variety of healthcare issues, I have been interviewed on national and local news, including:
- Today Show
- ABC’s World News Tonight
- The Dr. Oz Show
- The Doctors
- CBS, NBC and ABC local news shows
- Time Magazine
- Forbes Magazine
- Chicago Tonight
- Dozens of Nationally Broadcast Radio Shows
Game Changer in Health:
In 2009, I was named the top Ultimate Wellness Game Changer by the Huffington Post, an honor that celebrates “100 innovators, visionaries, and leaders in 10 categories who are harnessing the power of new media to reshape their fields and change the world.” HuffPost readers voted me to the top to receive this special award.
Emord & Associates P.C., a constitutional and administrative law firm that has represented integrative physicians, food and dietary supplement manufacturers, and non-profit groups, recognized my contributions to holistic medicine and health journalism at the 2014 Sacred Fire of Liberty Gala. They honored me with the:
- Sacred Fire of Liberty Award – For consistent philanthropic and intellectual support for the cause of health freedom, thereby upholding that trust given the American people at the Founding of the Republic: to preserve “the sacred fire of liberty” and to ensure “the destiny of the Republican form of Government.” (President George Washington, First Inaugural Address, April 30, 1789)
- Excellence in Integrative Medicine Award – For pioneering achievements in the field of integrative medicine that have lessened suffering, cured disease, and prolonged life in ways not achievable with traditional modalities and treatments
- Excellence in Health Journalism Award – For incisive and thorough reporting on health markets, law, and policy
- Freedom of Informed Choice Award – For successfully breaking down government barriers that deny consumers access to promising therapies and health information, and for thwarting efforts at industry capture of government
- University of Illinois at Chicago – UIC 1972-1976
- Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine – Midwestern University 1978-1982
- Chicago Osteopathic Hospital 1982-1985 Family Practice Residency. Chief resident 1984-1985
- Board Certified American College Osteopathic General Practitioners July 1985
- State of Illinois Licensed Physician and Surgeon
- Fellow at the American College of Nutrition (ACN)
- Member of the International Academy Biological Dentistry and Medicine (IABDM)
- Board Member Orthomolecular Medicine News Service
- Advisory Board Functional Medicine University
- Advisory Board member American Nutrition Association
- Advisory Board member Price-Pottinger Nutrition Foundation
- Advisory Board member Weston A. Price Foundation
- Advisory Board member Bio-Solar Proto
- Chairman, Department of Family Practice at St. Alexius Medical Center, Hoffman Estates, IL 1988-1993
Effortless Healing: 9 Simple Ways to Sidestep Illness, Shed Excess Weight, and Help Your Body Fix Itself (2015) – New York Times Bestseller
The Great Bird Flu Hoax: The Truth They Don’t Want You to Know About the ‘Next Big Pandemic’ (2006, with Pam Killeen) – New York Times Bestseller
The No Grain Diet: Conquer Carbohydrate Addiction and Stay Slim for Life (2003, with Alison Rose Levy) – New York TimesBestseller
Dark Deception: Discover the Truth About the Benefits of Sunlight Exposure (2008, with Jeffry Herman)
Generation XL: Raising Healthy, Intelligent Kids in a High-Tech, Junk-Food World (2007, with Ben Lerner)
Healthy Recipes for Your Nutritional Type (2007, with Kendra Degen Pearsall)
Take Control of Your Health (2007, with Kendra Degen Pearsall)
Sweet Deception: Why Splenda®, NutraSweet®, and the FDA May Be Hazardous to Your Health (2006, with Kendra Degen Pearsall)
Dr. Mercola’s Total Health Program: The Proven Plan to Prevent Disease and Premature Aging, Optimize Weight and Live Longer!(2004, with Brian Vaszily, Kendra Degen Pearsall, Nancy Lee Bentley)
Aspartame Can Harm Your Health British Medical Journal October 3, 2004
Fish Oil Far More Effective Than Aspirin For Pre-eclampsia British Medical Journal September 12, 2003
Managing Hypertriglyceridemia Canadian Medical Journal April 1, 2003
Nutritional Ignorance Will Sabotage Treatment British Medical Journal September 13, 2002
Dietary Manipulations That Resolve Atopic Dermatitis British Medical Journal June 7, 2002
Myopia Possible Link to Increased Refined Carbohydrate Intake and Hyperinsulinemia British Medical Journal May 17, 2002
Recent Advances in Nutritional Alternative to Parathyroid Hormone for Osteoporosis British Medical Journal February 26, 2002
Omega-3s and Childhood Asthma Thorax March 2002:57(3)281
More on Terrorism, Journal of the American Osteopathic Association (JAOA) January 2002
Many People are Taking Insulin Like Growth Factor Without Even Knowing It Western Journal of Medicine Vol 175 (6):378, Dec 2001
Fluoride and Apoptosis: Trading Dental Caries for Cellular Death? British Medical Journal July 20, 2001
Accuracy of Hair Analysis Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) 285:1576-77, March 28, 2001
Mercury Toxicity and Systemic Elimination Agents Journal of Nutritional and Environmental Medicine 11:53-62, March 2001
Columnist for The Townsend Letter, a nationally prominent alternative medicine periodical, from October 1997 to June 2001
Recurrent Otitis? Think Allergy Family Practice News page 12-13; October 1, 1996
Natural Progesterone for PMS Patient Care 30:27-28 September 15, 1996
The Basis For Microcurrent Electrical Therapy in Conventional Medical Practice Journal of Advancement in Medicine 8:107-120, 1995
Cracking Down on “Neck Cracking” American Family Physician 45:452-459, February 1992 (article to discourage patient’s self-manipulation which leads to ligamentous laxity)
Minocycline Trials in Rheumatoid Arthritis Patient Care January 20, 1992 p.20-21
Calcium Channel Blockers and Dysmenorrhea Journal of Adolescent Health 1:1-2, January 1992
Better Sleep For Less Pain in Hand Rheumatoid Arthritis Patient Care December 15, 1991 p. 15
Nutrition Software Helps Monitor Patients’ Diets Computer News For Physicians, p. 29-30. June 15, 1990
Premarital HIV Testing Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) 261:2198, April 21, 1989
Served as editor for HIV Monograph by Abbott Laboratories published in 1989 and distributed to physicians nationally
Private Resources Should Share AIDS Funding Responsibility Journal of the American Osteopathic Association (JAOA) 88:313, March 1988
What Physicians Should Know About AIDS Antibody Testing Osteo Med News December 1988
Premarital HIV Test Is Worth the Money American Medical News p.45 September 9, 1988
Pediatrics and AIDS Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) 258:3119-3120, December 4, 1987
Recent Developments In Smoking Cessation. Osteo Annals 14:31-32, 1987
The New American Diet (Book Review) Journal of the American Osteopathic Association (JAOA) 153:107-108, 1987
Update On Rubella, Hepatitis, and H. flu Vaccines Osteo Med News 3:31-32, 1986
Calcium Supplementation in the Treatment of Hypertension Journal of the American Osteopathic Association (JAOA) 85:104-107, 1985
NMR Analysis of Human and Rabbit Lens Experimental Eye Research 34:545-552, 1982